by Amita Goyal, Engagement Manager, Zinnov; Richa Kejriwal, Marketing, Zinnov
The decision to globalize is fraught with challenges. It requires thorough planning around business outcomes, scale, infrastructure, and costs. With so many variables involved, the risks of globalizing are amplified, forcing companies to face the dilemma of when and how to globalize. The main deterrent in this journey is the huge CapEx investment and high risk of sunk costs.
In our 17+ years of experience in helping companies set up their global centers, we have worked with organizations from varied verticals, of varied sizes, with their own unique set of challenges. However, some common underlying concerns that have surfaced are –
In addition to these challenges, there’s also an undeniable need for companies to be fast. The Global Center of Excellence (GCoE) Accelerator model speeds up the globalization process by ensuring that there’s ease of implementation of strategies and that the leadership spends their time focusing on technology deliverables and innovation.
So, what is the Global Center of Excellence Accelerator Model?
The Global Center of Excellence Accelerator model is a plug-n-play center, where all activities of the center setup are owned by a partner and delivered as a managed services model. It offers a one-stop solution for companies to build and rapidly scale their global delivery presence in a global location.
The role of the partner in this model is crucial as they will help organizations identify the right projects and products to transition, and manage knowledge transfer, L&D programs, leadership coaching, etc. They will also streamline the recruitment process to find the top talent, which also includes creating an employer brand in the local ecosystem.
In a traditional Global Center of Excellence setup model, an engineering head or R&D head is usually the sponsor of the center setup project. However, due to a plethora of other commitments that the sponsor has, the project takes a hit and tends to get delayed. With the Global Center of Excellence Accelerator model, the entire setup is taken care of by the partner, which includes:
a. Design Phase – This includes strategic advice in designing the custom playbook for the center, which is customized and tailor-made as per the company’s requirements.
b. Implementation Phase – This includes end-to-end management of center set up by the partner, including entity incorporation and registration, finance and accounting, statutory compliance, HR-related services, IT, infrastructure, plug-and-play office space, recruitment, technology transition management, change management, and hiring.
The GCoE Accelerator model ensures a hassle-free setup process for the sponsor and gives them a chance to focus on the core functions to be delivered from the new center.
Why the GCoE Accelerator Model works
Here are the major advantages of a Global Center of Excellence Accelerator model over traditional GCoE setup models:
- Setup in weeks: Typically, a center takes months to set up and with heavy involvement of current teams, which makes it harder to make progress. With an optimized project management framework and end-to-end process mapping of setup activities, the time to set up the center is highly accelerated, thus saving valuable time and resources of the company. With the GCoE Accelerator, the center can be up and running in a few weeks with minimal support from the company’s current cross-functional teams – HR, Finance, Legal, Recruiting, and Facilities; all this while providing complete transparency to the teams working out of HQ.
- Cost Savings: The Accelerator allows companies to trade capital expense (long term lease, leasehold improvements, hiring of functional teams) for the variable expense and only pay for what they consume. The infrastructure and support costs are payable as a managed service on a per-employee basis with a commitment of only 6 months. Plus, the variable expense is much lower because of the larger economies of scale.
- Agility and High Value: The Accelerator allows companies to innovate faster because they can dedicate global resources on developing products that differentiate their business and transform customer experiences rather than managing infrastructure. With GCoE Accelerator, companies can quickly hire the right people and transition the important existing and new products to the teams in the new center using a product transition framework. The Global Center of Excellence Accelerator model also allows companies to get easy and fast to access a broad range of globalization tools, frameworks, and experts as per their requirements. The cost of failure in this model is low as companies can flexibly de-provision resources without substantial risks.
- Flexibility: The pay-as-you-go model and on-site support from the partner eases the migration process and provides flexibility to move at the speed which the current teams are comfortable with. The partner’s goal here is to make globalization a cakewalk for companies while helping them generate the highest value from their global talent.
- Safe Launchpad: The Global Center of Excellence Accelerator model can be a good way to test, experiment, and explore the talent bed of a new geographical location without incurring upfront huge CapEx cost on real estate, etc. The plug-and-play office space enables the flexibility to incur costs in line with the current team size. It can further help companies plan for scaling or set up centers of excellence based on the availability of niche talent.
Looking beyond the Operational Advantages
The Global Center of Excellence Accelerator model doesn’t just accelerate the center setup process but also accelerates the maturity of the center. As a part of this model, the partner helps organizations identify the right projects and products to transition, and manage knowledge transfer, L&D programs, leadership coaching, etc. The partner also takes care of the recruitment process to find the top talent, which also includes creating an employer brand in the local ecosystem. The GCoE Accelerator model ensures that there’s ease of implementation of strategies, and leadership spends their time focusing on technology deliverables and innovation.
Today, in a world where time is of the essence and there is a need to fail fast and scale fast, the GCoE Accelerator model could be just the strategic initiative that companies need to differentiate themselves from the competition.
Zinnov has partnered with companies to provide them with actionable insights as they embark on their globalization journey. Write to us at email@example.com and discover how a GCoE Accelerator model can help you scale fast.
Speak with our consultants